The power of software has impressed me from an early age and I’ve worked on software my entire career. Writing and design became more and more of my work over time.
Before joining Microsoft, I wrote more than 200 blog posts published over 10 years to TomResing.com. In 2013, I co-authored a book that received 4.5 stars from 39 ratings on Amazon.com.
For the past 8 years at Microsoft, I’ve focused on UX writing and content design for web and mobile apps. In 2019, I joined a product incubation project as the first content designer on the team developing what became two separate products.
- With Microsoft Syntex, now part of SharePoint Premium, you can apply AI models to automatically identify the type of content in any file and pull information out of the file.
- Syntex was announced at Microsoft’s annual Ignite conference in October 2019 as Project Cortex.
- I currently lead the content design for these content AI tools.
- Microsoft Viva Topics shows you info about topics that are important to your work.
- Viva Topics became available for most Microsoft 365 customers in early 2021.
- I transitioned this work to two junior content designers in July 2022.
I also prepare and deliver presentations about content design both to internal Microsoft audiences and at public conferences. The following two public presentations are examples of the topics and conferences I’ve presented at publicly.
- Taking Charge of String Requests: A Proactive Approach to UX Writing – UX Salon Words 2023
- A mention on LinkedIn: “As someone who is continually learning and wondering about the impacts of writing in the digital world and design, it was truly an amazing experience to learn from field experts like Yossi Nachemi … Tom Resing”
- How engineering tools can help UX writers – UX Writer Conference, February 2022
Microsoft Viva Topics – topic recommendations
Viva matches you with topics you’ve worked on. The following screenshot shows an example of a topic I was matched to. For a deep dive on this example, read how I applied heuristics to improve this experience (on tomresing.com).